Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Randall Pugh Poker Run, Hosted by Red Knights #7

We don't often get to go on poker runs for different fundraisers unless they are on Sundays. This year we were in town for the 2nd Annual Randall S. Pugh Poker Run hosted by the Chapter 7 Red Knights motorcycle club. This is a fundraiser in Mr. Pugh's name that puts the funds raised into scholarships for people who want to train for emergency medical services (EMS) work including firefighters and EMTs. Boy, do we needs these kind of folks!

Who hasn't been in need of help or know someone who's life was saved because of the trained paramedics who were there during the emergency? We are lucky to live in a nation where such help is continuously available due to the people who make it their calling.

Tiny, Goldilocks, Meanie, and I rode over for the run, which started at the Lane Life Trans behind Lane Funeral Home on Mahoning Avenue in Austintown, Ohio. Lots of bikes were there, but I didn't get the final count. We signed up for the run which included a dinner later in the day. There were opportunities to buy tickets for raffles and the run t-shirts. I bought tickets and then forgot what they were for! That didn't really matter as the fundraiser was the main reason to be there. And we could not have asked for better weather.









Meanie got a t-shirt. Tiny bought gun raffle tickets, I think. Oh boy, it's humid in the house tonight, and my brain can't think too well to write!


At about 10:30-40 am, the bikes started up, rolled out in a roar, and turned west on Mahoning Avenue. The first leg of the route was nice and long, but not too long. We rode down some roads of names I have no idea. All I know is that we finally rolled in through downtown Warren and you know how it goes at intersections - we just keep going and the cars at the crossroads just have to accept the entertainment!

We all agreed that the leading and blocking for the group was done perfectly, and safely, and we'd like to thank the Red Knights and their help for putting it all together - never an easy task.

I believe the first stop was on the east side of the Mosquito Lake causeway at the Yellow Dog Saloon & Grill in Mecca, Ohio. You can see from the pictures below that the day was partly cloudy. I recognized a lot of folks from individuals to members of different clubs.

I was hungry when we got there. There was a pulled pork sandwich meal available for $7 with the proceeds going to the poker run fundraiser. This stop was also the 2nd card draw. I had started off with a 2 of spades back at the start site, so it was already looking bleak for me. Then I drew an 8 of clubs or something and I swallowed my loser sorrows with each bite of my pork sandwich and potato salad.








































We were asked to follow some folks to the next stop, and when we went outside a whole bunch of bikes were started and ready to go. We got on our bikes and got in line so we could follow along. That leg of the journey was a good long one! Man, I think it was route 46 or something. I'm so terrible with roads if I'm not the road captain! Seriously.

Well, anyway, it was a beautiful ride through the countryside.

Flying like eagles, we landed at the Crow's Nest bar in Ashtabula, Ohio. That's a really nice place. We hadn't been to either Yellow Dog of Crow's Nest before, so the new experiences were appreciated.  Fast Freddie from 93.3 the Wolf was on the run too and took this sweet picture of us!


But the old experiences called out from the Lake Erie shore on the wind. Soon I could hear Tiny saying that Geneva-on-the-Lake was less than ten miles away; why not get chili dogs? Well, with it being so dang hot and humid, I said let's get going if we are going! We were quickly on our way to Eddie's Grill in GOTL.

I figured we wouldn't find parking, but we did. And ordering wasn't too bad and the food didn't take too long. Here's a tip: if you're going to order a footlong chili dog, order two, that way you won't have to live with regrets all day long like Hammer had too on our ride to Ohiopyle.

I had a dog with ketchup and relish, Goldilocks had something and the boys had chili dogs. All I know is that my hot fudge sundae from the DQ next door went down cool and easy while I was waiting on my dog. Remember too: dessert first. Meanie remarked on the signs that said: Do not carry children on your shoulders, but didn't specify that it's because there are low ceiling fans in the place! That's would be a bad day at the beach for sure.

We were able to follow the directions on our own to the third stop, Crossroads Bar & Grill in Southington, Ohio. Meanie took our photo there, then we went inside to draw our next cards. I don't even remember what it was, but I'm sure you could see my my my my poker face (ha!). We cooled off inside for a bit as did most everyone, had something to drink, and then we left to get gas in Meanie's bike as it ran out and he turned on the reserve a few miles from Crossroads. We like to run the gas out of our bikes as often as possible. 


We made our way to the last stop and ending point, the Ice House Inn in Austintown. The place was pretty cool, yet another we still had not been too. All the bikes were parked around back, and you can see a lovely sun shining through intermittent clouds. Who knew all hell was to break loose.

The food was great as far as I'm concerned: fresh cut watermelon, brownies and cookies, buffalo chicken dip, butter parsley potatoes (on which I put my chicken dip), and well, there was other food, but I got hooked on those mentioned. The bar was open so you could buy drinks too. 


The place was packed! We bought Chinese auction tickets, and waited for the drawings.


I won the Spider Man backpack set for my niece, Josie!!! I had to wear it home. 


In the rain.
The torrential, storming, gusting, hateful rain and wind that was like living on the dark side of the rainbow! 

Yes, just about 7pm the storm was really there, and I had been saying we should go, but no, Meanie, living up to his name, said that Tiny had to stay to try to win one of the guns in the raffle. Ugh.

We stayed. He didn't win. And I made a B-line for my bike. The wind had picked up so heavily, and drops of rain were falling sideways. The black clouds suddenly blocked out the sun, and we were all on our bikes and pulling out when it hit hard. 

There was no turning back once we were on route 46, and the wind pushed our bikes sideways. We turned onto County Line Road, Meanie already ahead because he had the chance to take off before us. Branches and leaves were scattered all over, and the rain was pushing sideways with the wind blinding us. From that point all the way to the Dunkin Donuts on Salt Springs Road, we travelled in no more than 2nd gear. Even cars were pulled over, but for us on bikes, that would be more dangerous than plugging along. It was indeed, we all agreed, the worst rain we had ever ridden in. And we've gotten it pretty good in our travels, but this was unparalleled. 

We got inside the DD and water just poured off of us AND into our boots that were already boats. We all stood by the entrance doors just dripping and not moving so that we didn't make their entire floor slippery. And then we started feeling the air conditioning that made us feel like ice cubes! The kind woman working there offered us free cups of coffee which we accepted but did offer to pay for.


We waited out the storm. 
It left us a path home strewn with trees, leaves, power outages in Girard and Liberty (including a live wire down on Belmont that we rode over!). Oh my. Girard felt and looked like a post-apocalyptic world.

We all made it home.
After parking the bikes, we hung our leathers to dry, set the boots out and removed the insoles. Hung our gloves by the chimney with care - no, not really but a fire would have been rather nice.


All in all it was a really nice day, and well organized and run poker run for a great educational cause, and we put 170 miles on our bikes. Good luck, and thank you, to all the future people who answer the call to learn to help others and then answer the calls to their ambulances and fire trucks and emergency service places of work! We need you and appreciate you. 

To learn more about the world of EMS, click here




~ Holly
a.k.a. Stitchblade, Mama Stitch, Stitch























No comments:

Post a Comment