Monday, June 28, 2021

Franklin, Oil City, and Hot Dogs

On May 16, 2021, we had great weather for a ride and hit the pavement toward Franklin, PA. It was Meanie, Tiny, Goldilocks, Hammer, me, and, introducing...Chisel, Hammers new woman! Finally, Hammer has someone who wants to really live life with him, and treats him (in her own crazy, overthinking way) good. 

My bike was torn apart, so I rode with Bryon on his new Road Glide. The suspension sucks! Did you know that HD only pays $8 for that stock suspension? No wonder.

We took off in the morning around 10am, and rode US-62 east to Franklin. You continue on US-62 until it becomes PA-8 and follow that briefly to the Center Street Bridge. Right on the bridge takes you into Oil City, and comes to a T in the road at a Country Fair store. Turn left on Plummer right there. Follow this curvy uphill road to the top (it becomes Grandview) and there on the left is Murray's Scenic Overlook and The Grandview Grille's Fat Dogs. 











After we ate, I took us on a route that continued us north on Grandview to PA-227. That was a really nice road, and we followed that to PA-27 west through Titusville. There is the Drake Well Museum, but that will have to be a place for a future trip. 







We took PA-27 all the way to Meadville, and from there took US-322 west until we reached PA-18 south and took that back home. 

For some reason we did not take a lot of pictures on this trip. It was the day after my father's funeral, and I know that I wasn't all together. I like to paint rocks, and I had painted one in his memory and left it under some buttercups at the overlook. 

It was one of our shorter trips, but the ride to Franklin and beyond is always good and with beautiful mountain scenery. When my grandfather, Walter Pittman, enlisted in the Army for WWII, he was sent to Oklahoma, and wrote back to my grandma (his fiancé at the time) how he missed the hills of Franklin, his hometown. So, go to the hills as you never know when you may miss them or ever see them again.

Until later,
~ Holly 



















No comments:

Post a Comment